Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Where is super 8 sound film?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Vespasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I heard from indie film makers online that they would get super sound film back on the shelfs by 2003. How is it going? Has it gotten any closer to being remade/

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I'll believe it when I see it.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    More rumors at work...
    Where exactly did you hear about this Vespasian?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's not going to happen. We've been trying to put an end to these rumors for years.<p>
    The equipment that Kodak used to sound-stripe film is GONE. If you think that they are going to create new equipment for this purpose, take a look at what their stock has done in the past five years or so ask yourself if this is a wise market for them to get into. Super8 is barely holding on right now as it is... shoot what we have, put a smile on your face and enjoy. You never know when it's going to be gone.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    There are rumors that an entity other than Kodak is going to do it. Fuji, or Widescreen in England, or Foma, or ...

    Kodak can't get back into it. There was some environmental issue involved, what I don't know. They promised the EPA they would stop making magnetic striped film.

    On the other hand I've heard that Kodak's sales of sound film dropped below 1000 cartridges/year. So the environmental thing could be just an excuse, or another rumor.

    Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Well until this very moment I did not know that that word had a pornographic sense. I guess I lead a sheltered life after all.

  7. #7
    TA152
    Guest TA152's Avatar

    Post

    Matt Pacini Wrote
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Give it up guys, it's just not gonna happen, ever.
    You could fill a bus with the number of people who would actually buy the stuff, so anyone who would tool up to manufacture it would be as crazy as Ted Kazinsky.

    There is no other format that still has sound striped raw stock, and we all keep boasting about how "pro" we S8 shootters are, so why would anyone expect us to not do what 16mm/35mm motion picture filmmakers do?

    Just get yourself a minidisk recorder, a good mic, some decent software, and stop whining...

    Matt Pacini </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hoping you are not right but unfortunately you may well be.

    That is a big loss to me anyway, even if I use the MD as a secondary option.

    For "PRO" S8 filmmaking soundstriped films are not needed. However, for the homemovies I really miss the direct sound option.

    I shot one roll of K40 sound this summer and the sound quality and the presence it offers is invaluable. I hope I have time to post some samples later.

    Additionally the "newest" S8 cams are sound and those sound cams are most likely those in best condition and may be long lasting so the market protential for K40 Sound might be good.

    I have two children, one 18 year old that I shot a lot of S8 sound with and a younger one that I used the Video cam to tape due to the lack of S8 sound film.

    Not long ago I reviwed all my homemmovies and decided to ditch the DV video in favour of S8 even if silent but backing up with an MD due to the superior image quality of the S8.

    As it is it is my only problem with the S8 is the lack of K40 sound.

    Bring it back Kodak - NOW. You have the capacity if you really want for sure.

    For those of you who really want the K40S back visit this direct message site to Kodak and tell them: http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/part...ons/super8.php


    R

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 26, 2002 04:29 AM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Give it up guys, it's just not gonna happen, ever.
    You could fill a bus with the number of people who would actually buy the stuff, so anyone who would tool up to manufacture it would be as crazy as Ted Kazinsky.

    There is no other format that still has sound striped raw stock, and we all keep boasting about how "pro" we S8 s******* are, so why would anyone expect us to not do what 16mm/35mm motion picture filmmakers do?

    Just get yourself a minidisk recorder, a good mic, some decent software, and stop whining...

    Matt Pacini

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jeez, the censorship software on this board is ridiculous!
    All I said in the above post was S.H.O.O.T.E.R.S.

    As if that word could only be used in a pornographic sense.

    Man, it's enough to ******* make you **** your pants!

    Matt Pacini

  10. #10
    Inactive Member dsavetsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am still involved with getting wittner in germany to get k40 sound stripped film .I have tried a number of times to see how many people would be interested in purchasing the stuff in what quantities and for how much.The MAIN PROBLEM is you need a reloadable cartridge( very limited quantity available)and it costs about $1500.Any comments?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •